Recipe Author: By Chef Anton Haines
Milk Chocolate Almond Cake Ingredients:
- 6 ounces butter, regular or European style
- 9 ounces fine-quality milk chocolate (Callebaut or Ghirardelli)
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups almond flour (ultrafine ground almond)
- 3/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup Medjool dates
Spiced Figs Ingredients:
- 12 ounces figs (black mission or brown Turkey)
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 star anise
- 1 pint simple syrup (1 cup sugar + 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- zest of 1 orange
This optional topping requires a cream whipper and N2O chargers*
- 8 ounces fromager d’affinois (or similar mild, creamy cheese, such as farmers cheese or fromage blanc)
- 4 ounces half-and-half
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
ALMOND CAKE: Preheat oven to 325°F. Roughly chop chocolate, combine with butter and melt in double boiler; reserve. In a separate bowl, beat whole eggs and yolks with sugar until light in color and double in volume. Rough-chop dates and reserve.
Carefully fold cooled chocolate into egg mixture. Fold in dates, almond flour and chopped almonds until just incorporated. Bake approximately 45 minutes. Cake should be moist when done.
SPICED FIG: Cut figs and toss with powdered sugar; reserve. Combine rest of ingredients and simmer 8 minutes. Add figs and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until they just give to the touch. Remove figs from syrup and set aside to stop the cooking. Reserve syrup.
CHEESE FOAM: Discard rind. Combine all ingredients and cook over low heat. Place in bowl and refrigerate 1 hour. Add mixture to cream-whipper canister. Charge twice with nitrous oxide (N2O). Plate on or next to cake with figs and syrup.
* Available on Maui at Pacific Restaurant Supply, 830 Kolu Street in Wailuku Industrial Park; 242-9717.