Bacon-wrapped Maui Venison Recipe by: Capische? Chef Chris Kulis
Prep Time: 40 minutes, plus 8 hours (or overnight) for marinade
- 4 venison tenderloins
- 15-20 strips thick-sliced smoked bacon (uncooked)
- 1/2 c. grapeseed oil
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed
- olive oil sufficient to cover (use a generous amount)
- 8 sprigs rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. pink peppercorn, cracked on table
- small bunch thyme
1. Place all ingredients in a deep dish. Add venison loins. Marinate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
2. Place marinated loins on paper toweling to remove excess marinade.
3-4. Lay a quarter of the bacon strips on plastic wrap, place a loin perpendicularly over the strips, and roll the wrap so the bacon envelops the loin.
5. Seal tightly, tying the ends of the wrap. Repeat with the rest of the loins. Poach for 10 minutes in boiling water. Remove from water and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Remove plastic wrap, and sear bacon-wrapped venison in 1/2 c. hot grapeseed oil, spooning the oil over the meat, till golden brown. Let rest 10–15 minutes.
7. Slice each log into 2” portions for serving.
8. After plating the venison with the gnocchi, Chef Chris takes it up another notch by shaving slices of truffle onto the dish.